30 things about me

1. I have been using the exact kind of pen for 7 years: Jetstream's 4-colored ballpoint pen. You don't need to buy any additional pen if you have that one pen. It's very comfortable when you take notes and need to change color multiple times.




2. I love fantasies. Love is an understatement. I live on them. They allow me to free myself from reality and take an adventure. My all-time favorites are all the myth-fantasy series by Rick Riordan and the Harry Potter series. My best friend and I seriously believed that we were secretly witches when we were in elementary school.


3. The best friend I mentioned in #2, although we lost contact for years and although I don't know how she is going on with her life, I realize now that she had influenced me and my life a lot. She taught me the joy of reading books and the ability to find magic in the most ordinary aspects of life. So I have really nice/heart-warming memories of me and her reading, sharing books, imagining, and running around in the search of magic. I wish I could meet her again.


4. I love watching movies. They inspire me and make me reflect—on myself and my surroundings. I always try to find meaning from all movies if possible. Days of reflection make me re-watch them again and again. I used to watch Howl's Moving Castle everyday. Whenever I get overwhelmed by the movie's impression and atmosphere, I collect quotes, scenes, and gifs and use them as my laptop's background picture or put them on personal places.


5. I am an only child, so I'm used to spending time alone. I think this is what partly made me an introvert. I didn't realize that I was an introvert until I came to KMLA. KMLA makes people reflect on themselves (probably because it gives people such a hard time) and I got to know myself better in KMLA. Before, I had this pressure that I needed to get along with everybody, but now I let go of that pressure.


6. I'm not good at confronting strangers. My definition of strangers includes total strangers but also those who I am not emotionally close to. I think I am kind of people-phobic. I don't trust people.
So I am not the making-friends type. Eun Ji says that I have no interest in others. And I'll have to admit, it takes a long time for me to like a person, and I tend to refuse people coming into my friend zone. I have a strict line between friends and those who I can hang out. I share my deepest feelings with those in my friend zone. The problem is that its boundaries are too high to cross for most people.


7. I feel the necessity to have certainty in everything I do. Goals, perspective, or preference. Everything. People say that I am headstrong, and I agree. But I don't think it is bad for a person to be strong about their ideas. As the matter of fact, I think it is quite admirable, as long as you are open to accept criticisms and other ideas.


8. One of the flaws of having certainty is that I can be very judgemental on others. Not that I like criticizing people, but that if I decide to dislike a certain person, I stay that way. I don't try to like them or understand them. But from time to time, I would change my emotion or judgement toward that person. Actually this has happened several times in my life: I disliked a person in our class for a year, and she ended up becoming one of my closest friends in middle school. I still text her daily.


9. I liked Pokemon from when I was in kindergarten. I still like them now. I sometimes play nintendo on my laptop whenever I feel like it. Pokemon made Allison(a.k.a. Jeonghyeon) and me friends.


10. Gayageum sort of became my strongest identity among peers in KMLA, because I led the gayageum crew in Minjok Orchestra and played part in the gayageum ensemble at the school's music concert.




11. Miley Cyrus is one of my favorite celebrities of all time. There was a time when I was disappointed by her shocking performances, but I realized that she was still the Miley I knew&loved whenever I watched her interviews in youtube. And watching other celebrities commenting on how she's so sweet and thoughtful made me proud. She looks very, very happy nowadays, and anybody can notice this if they listen to her recent music. I'm happy for her.



12. Benedict Cumberbatch is my perfect idol. Not only he is an amazing actor, he also has inspired me to notice things that were not usually noticed. He hates his fans calling themselves "Cumberbitches" because "bitch" is an abusive word against women. And it is true, but people don't feel uncomfortable when hearing the word bitch in lyrics or everyday life. I realized the importance of noticing small things, and that these small things, in the end, change the world. He naturally introduced me to the world of feminism.



13. I want to make something inspiring and beautiful in my life—whether it is music, a book, an invention, whatever. In a similar context, I admire artists. And those who value art. I respect their effort to express values and ideas through art.


14.  I also admire those who live with strong values in mind. I think it should be a person's goal in life to live up to their values. I believe those who are corrupt are those who don't have a strong-enough-value of their own or those who have an unjust/unethical value in mind at the first place.


15. I have powerful curly hair. My friends always tease me because my hair is never neat or calm, especially in the morning. They say my hair sticks up like an antenna, and sadly, it's true.


16. I make curses sound bubbly in some kind of way. So they kind of resemble curses but don't sound as bad. I do not do this on purpose, but it just pops out of my mouth.


17. I am not good at handling laptops. I could buy a brand-new laptop if I gather all my past-repair costs. I don't know if I am the problem or Samsung's the problem. I am using a second samsung laptop now. I am a non-smartphone user, and as a person who used to have a smartphone, it's truly amazing that no matter how much I drop it, it never breaks or anything. And I'm a little bit addicted to the baseball game it offers.


18. I think I might become a vegetarian after graduation(Actually, I could start right away, but I won't because I'm planning on attending barbecues in KMLA). After I've seen pet pig videos on facebook, I would feel guilty and would skip meat for that day. But I don't have much sympathy for fish, and I don't find any ethical problems with milk, so if I'm going to be a vegetarian, I'm going to be the kind who eats both fish and dairy products. The only possible problem is that I don't really like vegetables.


19. I am a fan of Taylor Swift's music. Unlike those who want the "old Taylor" back, <1989> was my favorite album(I adore each and every one of the tracks) and some of my favorite songs of Taylor are from <Reputation>. I like listening to the full track of an album, because then you get the idea of what the artist trying portray in that album. But I got bored listening to her old albums. Even though I like her relatively recent music, I didn't like LWYMMD, and some of the things she tried to do with her music in <Reputation>. My favorite songs are Wildest Dreams, Delicate, and Getaway Car. Actually, I like her old songs too. If I were to choose one from each album, it would be All too well, Long live, and Fearless. (from <Red>, <Speak Now>, and <Fearless> respectively)

-this is one of my favorite youtube videos of all time.



20. I recently decided that I'm going to learn the bass guitar: I'm going to start right after the APs. I've never been so determined to learn something this passionately. I've always wanted to learn an instrument after graduation, but didn't have any specific instrument in mind. Then I fell in love with the sound of the bass guitar. The bass guitar mostly plays background music, and I value background music more than the main melody when listening to songs. So my definition of great music=music with great background sounds.

윤하's Parade has amazing background music. I got goosebumps when I heard the sound of the bass (0:10) in the background. This song made me get interested in the bass guitar.  

I am currently making a list of songs with great background music, and I would like to note that 빈첸's 그대들은 어떤 기분이신가요 from <High school Rapper>also has amazing background music. Most people praise the rap, but I was mesmerized by its background music when I first heard the song. What makes this song so great is that the balance between the rap and the background music is nearly perfection.

It is one of my goals to create music of my own. I used to scribble down notes from when I was 6, but it has been a while since I stopped doing that, and I want to make it into a solid recording.




21. I'm addicted to cat videos. I thought I was a dog person, but after subscribing a cat youtuber, I fell in love with cats. This youtuber has 7 cats, and my favorites are Didi and Lulu. If I don't get married, I'm going to live with two dogs and two(or more) cats. Even if I get married, I'm still going to live with two dogs and two(or more) cats.



22. Earth sciences is the most interesting area of study I've encountered so far. So I decided to major in earth sciences. I have no idea what I want to do about it, but I'm interested in making our society a better place to live so I don't want to spend my time only as a researcher. I'll maybe find a mid-point


23. I am obsessed with Ghibli nowadays. Howl's Moving Castle is my ultimate favorite and I have watched it so many times. Spirited Away would probably be my second choice. Recently I re-watched Kiki's Delivery Service, My neighbor Totoro, and Ponyo. I did watch The Castle in the Sky and Porco Rosso, but I don't remember them well. I am thinking of going on a Ghibli Marathon after the APs. Every time I re-watch these films, each time I find or realize something new. I keep thinking about it and this makes me watch them again. It's a never-ending-loop. The best thing about Ghibli is that its music is perfect. I am obsessed with their sound tracks as much I am obsessed with their films.

Many perceive Howl's Moving Castle just as romance, but it is much more than that, and I believe that its values are overlooked. It's a story of how Sophie realizes and accepts who she is. I personally find Howl annoying, although I'll have to admit that he's gorgeous.




24. I am afraid of small animals. Any animals smaller than my hand freak me out(hypothetically.) Because I get goose bumps at the thought there would be all the organs and the muscles working inside that small body. Well, human body systems are freaky too, but small bodies make things worse.
I fear rabbits. They jump. Jumping up and down is scary. Once, my mom's friend bought me a pet rabbit as a surprise present, and my mom and I was so scared we couldn't get down from the sofa. My mom's friend tried to catch it but couldn't because it kept jumping out of her hands. The memory is so strong that it still frightens me. I don't remember what happened to the rabbit. I think it ran away through the open door. 



25. I am very close with my parents compared to most kids. I share mostly everything with my parents and they also share many things with me. We are friends. We enjoy spending time together like watching movies or visiting a trending restaurant. The three of us is the most important to me, and it will stay that way.



26. I wish I had religion. It would be really nice knowing that there is somewhere you can depend on whenever you are lost. The problem is that I am very cynical about religion. I believe in souls and godly-power though. There must be something that started this universe.

댓글